Brisbane Airport reopens after mass evacuation following domestic situation

04 February, 2019, 14:38 | Author: Clarence Schmidt
  • Police an incident of domestic violence prompted the evacuation at Brisbane International Airport

The incident sparked a major response from Queensland Police and the Australian Federal Police, with an emergency declared and the terminal evacuated.

A man has been arrested after he allegedly sparked a bomb scare at Brisbane Airport.

A 50-year-old man has been charged following investigations into an incident at the Brisbane International Airport on Saturday night.

At around 9pm yesterday police were called to the worldwide terminal following reports of a man in the food court armed with a knife and threatening a woman known to him, according to a Queensland Police Service statement released today.

"I think this photo behind us clearly indicates just the extraordinary lengths that a person has gone to to create a perception of risk, fear and threat", Commissioner Stewart told reporters on Sunday.

Police have released an image of the device used in a domestic violence-related incident that sparked a mass evacuation of Brisbane Airport's worldwide terminal.

The man, who was shot with non-lethal bean bag rounds, was charged with a string of offences, including stalking with a weapon and assaulting police.


Australian police said they had taken a man into custody and no injuries to any members of the public or police were reported.

The incident reportedly took place in the airport's worldwide terminal.

Crawford also said police had checked several vehicles and residences on the Gold Coast for improvised explosive devices following statements made by the man.

"It will take some time to get operations back to normal", an airport representative said in a statement.

The man will appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday.

Assistant Commissioner Peter Crawford said the incident was "terrifying" for all involved and said the man's alleged threats seemed very real.

Recommended:



Popular

Venezuela opposition leader to police: Leave my family alone
They form an important voting constituency in a swing state often critical to the outcome of USA national elections. Erdoğan expressed his surprise and disappointment that Donald Trump was backing an apparent coup attempt.

Take inspiration from Ronaldo, Solskjaer tells Martial, Latest Football News
United also play in a more advanced system with the full-back encouraged to get forward and wide into space. Speaking after the announcement was made on Thursday, Martial stated: "I am loving my time at this club".

India issues 'demarche' to American Embassy on detention of Indian students
The Indian Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement on Saturday that it has been in contact with U.S. officials and has expressed concern for the detained students.

A robust job gain in January shows US economy's durability
But the longest shutdown in history, which ended a week ago, pushed up the unemployment rate to a seven-month high of 4.0 percent. Last month, the economy of the United States of America added more than 300,000 jobs despite the U.S. government shutdown .

Punxsutawney Phil says winter is over!
Punxsutawney Phil , the Pennsylvania groundhog we let decide our seasons for us, is officially predicting an early spring. Sony has announced and released the first trailer for the upcoming video game Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son .

Northwest US measles cases prompt look at vaccine exemptions
However, some parents are concerned their children are not eligible for the vaccinations. "I'm just so scared", she said. Of the 41 confirmed cases, 37 are people who were not immunized and four are unverified.

Prosecutors: Mueller Filing on Russian Company Was Itself Used for Disinformation
The FBI has found no evidence that US government servers, including ones used by Mueller's office, had been hacked. Concord has argued the information sharing is needed to defend themselves in the case.

Chelsea agree deal with West Ham - and want to sell to Everton
Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi has reportedly agreed terms with Crystal Palace over a permanent move to Selhurst Park. The striker has failed to impress while on loan at Valencia and could now move elsewhere in Spain or return to London.

Michy Batshuayi agrees personal terms to join Crystal Palace from Chelsea
West Ham have agreed a deal to sign Michy Batshuayi on loan from Chelsea , according to journalist Ed Aarons of The Guardian . Chelsea have been looking for a new loan club for Batshuayi because his spell at Valencia this season has not worked out.

Juan Guaido says Nicolas Maduro sent shock troops to his family's apartment
In the tussle over oil, Guaido worked this week with Washington to wrest control of PDVSA's USA subsidiary Citgo from its board. The country's oil output fell to 1.17 million barrels a day, down from 1.2 million bpd.