Several killed as gunmen attack military parade in Iran

22 September, 2018, 18:59 | Author: Clarence Schmidt
  • Breaking News

Gunmen disguised as soldiers attacked an annual Iranian military parade Saturday in the country's oil-rich southwest, killing at least 25 people and wounding 53 in the bloodiest assault to strike the country in recent years.

State media reports say around 20 people, including a child and women, were also injured in what the Iranian media termed a terrorist attack.

In videos and pictures of the aftermath circulating on social media, rescue officials can be seen shifting injured to hospitals. The attack lasted about 10 minutes, the BBC's David Bamford told NPR. "The toll is likely to rise due to many wounded in critical condition", IRNA reported quoting an unnamed source.

State television showed images of the immediate aftermath, with paramedics seen helping someone in military fatigues lying on the ground.

"Terrorists recruited, trained, armed & paid by a foreign regime have attacked Ahvaz", Zarif said, adding: "Iran holds regional terror sponsors and their USA masters accountable for such attacks".

"Iran will respond swiftly and decisively in defence of Iranian lives", he wrote on Twitter.

He said that children and journalists were casualties in the attack.

An Iranian military spokesman rejected the notion that ISIS was behind the attack and said the gunmen were trained by two Gulf Arab states and had ties to the United States and Israel.


"Two were killed and two arrested", Hosseinzadeh said.

Meanwhile, the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack but provided no evidence for the claim.

Saturday's rally was one of many in cities across Iran held to mark the anniversary of the launch of the war with massive Iraqi air strikes. He accused Saudi Arabia, a regional rival, of funding the militant group he said was responsible.

Senior Guards commanders were skeptical about President Hassan Rouhani's cultivation of detente with the West with the landmark 2015 deal, which placed curbs on Iran's nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of a number of sanctions.

Meanwhile, Guard spokesman Gen. Ramazan Sharif told ISNA that an Arab separatist group carried out the attack, without elaborating.

Khuzestan was a major battleground of the 1980s war with Saddam's Iraq and the attack on the anniversary parade in Ahvaz had significant symbolic value.

An Iranian military spokesman said the attackers were not from Daesh, but "were trained and organized by two Persian Gulf countries", and had ties to the USA and Israel. - Dozens of people were killed with dozens others wounded in an attack in the southwestern Khuzestan province.

Recommended:

  • Over 54,000 still without power in Carolinas after Florence

    Over 54,000 still without power in Carolinas after Florence

    Officials had anxious the water would overwhelm several pits where coal ash had been stored, potentially contaminating rivers. North Carolina governor Roy Cooper says the state is still tallying its storm damage, but says it will be in the billions .

    European Union trashes Theresa May's Brexit plan

    On the subject of a second referendum vote, she said she would "not break up my country or disrespect the referendum result". Britain wants to controls its own immigration and make its own independent trade deals.
    Juventus Beat Valencia Despite Ronaldo Red Card

    Juventus Beat Valencia Despite Ronaldo Red Card

    In group E, former European champions, Ajax, will take on AEK Athens of Greece, while Portugal's Benfica will host Bayern Munich. Cristiano Ronaldo was left in tears on Wednesday after seeing red on his Champions League debut for Juventus .
  • Apple releases how-to videos for the Apple Watch Series 4

    Apple releases how-to videos for the Apple Watch Series 4

    The iOS 12 .1 beta mainly includes the group FaceTime feature that was announced at WWDC but pulled from the iOS 12 betas. Long story short: One iPhone XS Max survived being in a bowl of fresh water for 30 minutes with no visible damage.
    #DearProfessorFord: Film Director Paola Mendoza Launched a Campaign to Support Kavanaugh's Accuser

    #DearProfessorFord: Film Director Paola Mendoza Launched a Campaign to Support Kavanaugh's Accuser

    Politico reported that Ford asked to have Kavanaugh testify first, and does not want him in the room when she testifies. They want her allegations to be investigated by the USA government before she appears for a hearing in Congress.
    Prince Harry and Meghan to miss Prince Charles' 70th birthday concert

    Prince Harry and Meghan to miss Prince Charles' 70th birthday concert

    Prince Harry , 34, admitted that he tries "not to panic"- and he's not the only royal that feels that way. Prince Harry still gets nervous when he bumps into his grandmother in the corridors of Buckingham Palace.
  • Helicopter called to second Whitsunday Island shark attack in 24 hours

    Helicopter called to second Whitsunday Island shark attack in 24 hours

    The girl, who was on holiday with her father and sister, is in a critical condition and will undergo surgery. The Queensland Government's shark control program operates at 85 of the state's most popular beaches.
    Musk names Japan billionaire for around-the-moon space trip

    Musk names Japan billionaire for around-the-moon space trip

    He had said that the trip would happen this year and would not involve a landing, but rather a long loop around the moon. Musk said the billionaire will pay "a lot of money" for the lunar orbit but he declined to disclose the exact amount.
    Disney's Streaming Plans Will Likely Kill Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

    Disney's Streaming Plans Will Likely Kill Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

    They've got plenty of other series and original movies lined up, as well, but the big question has been where Marvel fits in. By placing Tom Hiddleston or Elizabeth Olsen in a TV series, it appears that the Netflix shows are being neglected somewhat.
  • Sergio Aguero signs Manchester City contract extension to 2021

    Sergio Aguero signs Manchester City contract extension to 2021

    Imagine how many goals he'll have by the time he finally leaves us? Aguero added: "I am happy for this additional year". " Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola: "[The] Premier League is physical.
    Dear Modi Sahab: What Imran Khan said in letter to PM

    Dear Modi Sahab: What Imran Khan said in letter to PM

    Rejecting the SAARC suggestion, Mr Kumar said: "We have agreed to their request for a meeting but do not read too much into it". In his letter, Khan also said the two countries need to pay "close attention" to resolving the Siachin and Sir Creek issues.
    Mourinho wants United to join the Fed Express

    Mourinho wants United to join the Fed Express

    But Jose Mourinho has made a decision to rest one key player amid fears over the plastic pitch that will greet his side. Captain Antonio Valencia will not play for Manchester United due to the artificial turf at the Stade de Suisse.


Popular

Aubameyang Reveals How Far Arsenal Can Go In The Europa League
Prior to the injury, the Uruguay worldwide had impressed with his industrious play during the 4-2 win on Thursday night. If we are scoring four goals and conceding two - we are winning.

Sarri explains he why drop Hazard & Co for Europa League tie
If he keeps this up, he'll (finally) force himself into the Ballon D'Or conversation. They're still signs the team has tricklings that won't play for Mourinho.

IPhone XS in UAE: Fans ready to shell out more
While the iPhone X used this for portrait mode photos and Face ID smarts, it topped out at 600 billion operations per second. Apple introduced the more affordable variant of iPhone X- iPhone XR- which starts at Rs 76,900 (64GB variant) in India.

Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight to serve 28 years in murder plea deal
Knight's lawyers maintain he was acting in self-defence as he fled armed attackers when he ran over Mr Carter and Mr Sloan. TMZ reports Knight plead no contest to a charge of voluntary manslaughter, for which he will serve a total of 28 years.

Three children stabbed at childcare centre in Queens, New York
CBS New York reports that the daycare was in a home and it was not yet clear if it was being run as a licensed care center. The ages of two children, a boy and a girl, remains unknown but police say the girl is in a serious condition.

Jimmy Butler has Knicks, Nets on three-team trade list
He reportedly provided a list of one to three teams with which he would be open to signing a long-term deal, sources said . However, what they may be willing to part with given the 29-year-old is in the final year of his contract is unknown.

Death toll from Philippines landslide rises to 46
Rail, airline and ferry services had been restored and casinos in the gambling enclave of Macau had reopened for business. The landslide buried an emergency shelter which was being used by miners and their families in the town.

PlayStation Classic packs 20 pre-loaded PS1 games, costs $99
It comes with an HDMI cable, two wired controllers and a USB power cord, but you'll need to supply your own AC adapter. And if you're like us, simply reading those names again is enough to take you on one big feels trip.

Pep watches in horror as Manchester City stunned by Lyon at home
Arteta refused to use the absence of Guardiola as an excuse after a defeat which ended City's unbeaten start to the season. Fekir, a recent Liverpool target, doubled the advantage after Fernandinho lost possession.

Trump Open to Proposed 'Fort Trump' in Poland
At a joint news conference with Duda, Trump said he is open to the idea if Poland comes up with the money to offset the cost. They respect strength, as anyone does, and we have the greatest strength in the world, especially now".